Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Jagshemash...

I remember watching the Borat character in the "Ali G-Show" a couple of years ago and now after Sacha Cohen (the man behind "Borat") dedicated a whole movie to him, the whole world starts talking about this movie or tries to imitate his accent and his jokes.

First of all, I have to admit that I really like this kind of humour, but after having read a couple of articles which talk about the dangers of this movie, I have to admit too that not everyone gets the "real" joke behind Cohen's ballyhoo. I am probably biased, because one of my best friends is actually from Kazakhstan and since the first trailers of this movie were released, he has tried to convince me not to watch it... He keeps asking me me how we (people living in the 21st century) could not be even a little bit informed about Kazakhstan and why we tend to think of the East as an underdeveloped whole with no exceptions??? To be honest I do not have an answer???

This one article that I found from Eric Weiner ("The Real Kazakhkstan") deals with this issue and tries to make people aware of how people could misunderstand the message behind Cohen's humou. Please read it in the for my friend Genya's sake, because he has no problems with Jews at all, does not shoot dogs, does not sleep with his sister, does not believe in Pamela Anderson's virginity, does not listen to Corky Butshek and does not wrestle me all the time... :)

No comments: