Thursday, October 26, 2006

The South Rises to its defense

Julie,
Don't get too caught up in your liberal euphoria just yet. The NJ legislature still has to deal with how to make the unions a law. While the court may have required the legislature to take action; the action of a court is not exactly representative of true grassroots action. A judge legislating from the bench cannot represent the true will of a people until the people actually rise up in favor of something. Furthermore, can you answer me as a proud resident of that pantheon of social justice which is New jersey, where at times traffic stops require two policemen because the danger your honest, socially acceptable, peace loving people present; was/is there a widespread movement in your electorate to get your elected officials to do something? Or is this a case of a few interests groups getting their case heard and in the process making an elected body do something?


If I remember correctly, you sometimes tend towards libertarian ideals. You might find the South as accommodating of libertarians as the north, it may be even more so. The idea of having the right to live your life without excessive government intervention is much more prevalent to me living in Virginia then it ever was living in Maryland. Whether it takes the form of 2nd amendment rights, the desire to live outside the urban chaos, or the desire to work hard without a needy government breathing down your neck or taking your hard earned money, the South is full of libertarian ideas. They are worth taking notice because they will only enhance your experience of what it is to be an American citizen and to know what it is to live in the "South" or the land that god blessed (just joking).

"But I ain't askin' nobody for nothin',
If I can't get it on my own.
You don't like the way I'm livin',
You just leave this long-haired country boy alone.
A poor girl wants to marry, And a rich girl wants to flirt.
A rich man goes to college,And a poor man goes to work.
A drunkard wants another drink of wine,And a politician wants a vote.
I don't want much of nothin' at all,But I will take another toke.
'Cos I ain't askin' nobody for nothin',If I can't get it on my own.
If you don't like the way I'm livin',
You just leave this long-haired country boy alone."

I have espoused many ideas and will continue to with things that I may not necessarily agree with (unlimited individualism, etc). However they serve to counter arguments that need to be countered to see the full scope of the issue. Whenever one of us engages in essentializing the other: Dixie v. Yankee, liberal v. Conservative, west v. non, we must remain cognizant that the issue is much more then a simple difference of ideals. Good day.

"Turn it up

Big wheels keep on turning
Carry me home to see my kin
Singing songs about the Southland
I miss Alabamy once again
And I think its a sin, yes...

Sweet Home Alabama
Where the skies are so blue
Sweet Home Alabama
Lord, I'm coming home to you"

No comments: